Monday 28 April 2014

Did the Technology Let Me Down????

Hi there hope you are having a fun day.  I have been busy making art for what seems like ages!  It started out as an idea that popped into my head as the result of a Challenge over at Scrap Around the World.  You know me I love a challenge and I had great fun with this one although producing it ended up being challenging in a different way.

Here is the initial Mood Board image from Riikka a Design Team Member from Finland that started my adventure:


As I thought about the challenge I decided to make a mixed media 12" x 12" canvas.  I love the idea of using the beautiful coloured butterflies against the black and white and that is where my journey began.

I wanted to video my journey to share …..as you know I often do but sadly it was not meant to be.  This canvas took me forever as the more it progressed the more details I wanted to add!  Three downloads of video later and still not finished iMovie decided to play up.  I lost all video and only had audio.  I found the solution which involved reimporting all my video and to cut along story short I emptied my trash can during that process and lost the lot :-(  I was a very unhappy bunny and really, although I am tempted to blame the technology…..Hence the title of this post……I think I really only have myself to blame ;-)

Oh well that didn't stop me having fun and I have come up with a little video idea anyway to share my creative journey on You Tube so all is not lost.  I have done some Zentangling which was definitely inspired by the circular patterns on the inspirational mood board above.


I decorated and cut out lots of lovely butterflies in shades of blue and green inspired by the fab butterfly photo above.  


The idea was to bring the two elements together block and white with colour as the Mood Board does so many many hours later I have a canvas of two halves.  One black and white….


……and the other celebrating all the wonderful shades of blue and green……


As you can see I have had a huge amount of fun making all the tiny elements that went into the creation of this piece.  I have used paints and pens and iridescent drawing inks, I have punched and fussy cut and layered all the tiny elements up with a sprinkling of jewels.


My fairy who is bringing Spring to the woods took me forever…..well her face did.  I just could not get it right but I am happy with it….eventually ;-)


I confess faces are a little hit and miss with me.  Thank goodness for white paint!  If the video had been a success you would have seen me wipe out her head a couple of times with a coat of paint and starting all over again!!!!

Although it took me longer than I anticipated I have had a wonderful time pulling this together and I hope you like the finished canvas.


I hope that you can see that the butterflies are fluttering about bringing colour to the black and white flowers and foliage.    I am off now to post this as the challenge finishes on Wednesday!  I will share the video on You Tube when I get it edited.  I am looking forward to seeing what the next challenge brings.  Please follow the link over to Scrap Around the World as there are lots of lovely layouts and art pieces to inspire.  This is a new challenge blog to me and I am looking forward to joining in the fun.  I am off to make a cup of coffee and then I too will be hopping back over to see what else was inspired by this fab mood board.

I think this post is going to reflect the challenge inspiration photo but also the background of my blog!

Hope you have a creative week and thank you for popping by.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful creation! Thank you for sharing it with us at SATW!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Helen, that is a very beautiful work of art! Your fairy is so lovely and all those butterfiles a delight to watch. They do compliment your blog background as well. You have put so much work into this, I'm sad the video, got accidentally dumped, it would have been great to see you create this. (Not as gutted as I imagine you must have been :/) I look forward to seeing the video you have done. Have a great week *hugs* Mo :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dimension to this and the way it melds from monochrome to colour. Great work Helen. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Takes my breath away! Love what you've done here! Thank you so much for drawing inspiration from my mood board and joining us at SATW this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW Helen WOW!!! The color is bold and fun, but the design is perfect! Gorgeous canvas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! wow.. this is spectacular!!Thank you for joining over us over @ SATW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh! this is spectacular! just look at all the work that went into creating this beauty! Tahnk you so much for sharing this gem with us at Scrap Around The World!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I always love to read them and if you have a question for me I will reply. Thanks again, Helen x
PS have had stop Anonymous comments as I am getting a lot of spam. I am so sorry to any real commenters that this affects. Feel free to email me if you want to and I will get back to you that way instead x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...