Sunday 22 September 2013

It's Christmas!!!!


Well at least it is Christmas in my Ideology Assemblage Clock!!!!  I have had such a lovely time making this over the past couple of days.  It took me back to my childhood days of playing with the dolls house my Mum and Dad made and gave to me one Christmas.

That particular run up to Christmas my little brother Paul had been hunting for evidence of Christmas presents (as he did every year!) and he showed me that he had found my present (I couldn't resist a little look when he told me what it was!) so we spent a fun (and naughty) time peeking under the blanket at the progress my Mum and Dad made making me a beautiful dolls house.  It was huge as they made it using a packing crate and I remember seeing little quilts and pillows for the beds appearing courtesy of my Mum and little lights that worked courtesy of my Dad.  Much as I am not a peeker even to this day, I like to keep the surprise for the day, I did enjoy the build up of seeing my dolls house take shape.  When I think about it now my Mum and Dad must have spent many hours long into the night making this for me while I slept.

Now here is the funny thing.  All the time we peeked at the magical progress of the dolls house we never once lifted the blanket up far enough to see that on top of the dolls house a fort was taking shape!!!!  So on Christmas morning my brother had the biggest surprise of all when he received a fort so large that he could sit in it and play with his army of little cowboys and indians!!!  Happy Days ;-)


Here is a view of the inside of my clock.  I have used one of the Idea-ology Christmas trees and I dyed it (and my hands!) using Evergreen Bough Distress Ink and then decorated it with a beaded garland and jewels and sequins.  I found the perfect silver star charm for the topper!  It was fab to play with miniatures like this and I am already planning an Autumn, Summer and Spring clock too!!!!

I have made a video of this project so you can better see some of the fun I had wrapping miniature presents and sewing tiny stockings.


Here is a close up of the frosting I put on the clock using a whole host of sparkly product.  I used Silver Glass Glitter which I think was a Stampendous product, Iced Diamond from Pinflair, Cosmic Shimmer Pearl PVA and the sugary Ranger Rock Candy Distress Glitter with the odd gem thrown into the mix.    Lots of product there to produce a lovely icy frame to my Christmas scene.  I had a hard time photographing this project because of the glass in the clock and the photo does not do the frostiness justice at all.



Here is a closer look at the Christmas Tree.  You can see the silver charm that was the perfect tree topper and you can see the details of one of the Christmas stockings I patiently stitched.  I have decided to buy the Christmas Idea-ology word bands as although the one I have used here is a nice sentiment I want something a little more Christmassy.  This project taught me that I can reposition things I have hot glued into position by melting the glue with my heat gun.  That is how I will change the word band but my second lesson was that the glass on the Assemblage clock does not like the heat gun and I did crack the glass of one clock in the making of this project!!!  I was trying to heat emboss some snow flakes on to the glass - bad idea - don't do it!!!  I am glad I did it early on before I started to get into the details of the clock.  So it was a lesson learnt and I now have a clock without glass to dream up another project for!

The sun is shining here in the UK this Sunday morning and we are having a bit of an Indian Summer.  I have a few plans to increase my storage in my craft room.  A hubby job!!!!

Here is the before photo.


I am hoping to increase my storage and to have a good sort out of what is currently dumped here!!!! A me job!!!

So I am off to clear the shelves ready for hubby and then to edit the video I made of this project which I will share later. Hope you are all having a lovely Sunday.  We are planning probably the last BBQ of the year instead of Sunday Lunch later and I think I have to give up the computer to Callum for his Math homework shortly too so I had better get a wiggle on with this post!!

Have a great rest of the weekend and thank you for your patience with the Word Verification whilst I hopefully sort out the annoying spam!

Thank you for popping by X

6 comments:

  1. Your clock is awesome! Love the frosty look you achieved on it! I haven't tried making one, but I really want to try one. You are so inspiring. I can't wait to see your new storage. Enjoy the bbq! It is lovely here, so I am hoping to get a few more bbq's in this season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Winnie - glad you are enjoying great weather too. Did you have to word verify to comment? I ask because I just got another one of those anonymous spam thingies - I may not have turned it on correctly so I am checking in with you. If you did have to then I may have to look into it further as that obviously didn't work!!! ;-( x

      Delete
  2. Fabulous clock Helen. I love the fact you made a Christmas scene in it and I too love the frosting you created. I enjoyed your childhood tale of you peeking at your dolls house and that Paul was totally surprise by his fort.
    I look forward to seeing your new storage solutions & hope to glean some ideas for myself.
    We have also enjoyed beautiful weather this weekend and hope it continues a little longer :D x
    ps - I am being asked for word verification at this time ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo! I too hope the weather lasts. We spent most of our Sunday in the garden so didn't get as far as planned with the extra shelving! Got to make the most of the weather though!!! Thanks for letting me know about the word verification. I did have another anonymous comment today so it obviously doesn't completely stop them. I think I will have to ask the all knowing internet what to do ;-) !!! Have a great week Mo x

      Delete
  3. FAB U LOUS!!!!!! Love love love this! The snowy clock and Christmas scene are breathtaking! Amazing project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful clock with all of your carefully crafted details! And I loved your story of the doll house and fort your parents created. What a lot of work they went to!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I always love to read them and if you have a question for me I will reply. Thanks again, Helen x
PS have had stop Anonymous comments as I am getting a lot of spam. I am so sorry to any real commenters that this affects. Feel free to email me if you want to and I will get back to you that way instead x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...