Next step was to give everything a good coating of black acrylic paint. I had trouble with the roses so I ended up giving them a spray with some black delusions ink. I think I almost got everywhere - I can see three tiny specks of red remaining in this photo!
Next I stippled on brown and black paint with some sand added to give the piece some texture. I quite like this wet look picture here!
The final step was to add what I hope looks like the remains of a layer of turquoise paint. I added a few metallic highlights and some orange embroidery thread to tie the two tags together.
I really enjoyed trying to make this tag look rusty and it came together quite quickly as I used my heat gun to dry the paint layers as I worked.
The sand really help make it look like bits of metal are falling away and my roses look like petals are disintegrating.